Sunday, October 7, 2012

Following Arthur's modified plan

This being my first blog, I would like to keep it simple and small.
Background: I have started running and doing a lot of reading for the past few years. I find Arthur's method to be the best amongst available options and my plan is to follow it cycle after cycle for 3-5 years. This blog is to share the learnings from following Arthur's ways and prepare a log of how my training is going.

I am preparing for Mumbai Marathon called as Standard Chartered Mumbai Marathon (SCMM) 2013, my best being 4:20 in 2012 event. My plan is to reach a sub-4 level. Honestly, it seems to be too optimistic given that I have missed most of my base builtup due to GI issues or office committments. I have realized that these problems are miniscule and one has to overcome such unprecendented events to move from average runner background to a more developed runner.

Why Arthur? While following Hal Higdon's plan 2 years back, I realized that just running short distances on weekdays and take rest is not suitable for me. Without having any background on Arthur at that time, I started adding daily runs and stopped taking rest days unless it is needed. I have had a small share of injuries with me, but I have also realized that gains multiply once you start running daily and slowly start increasing the weekly distances. In 2011, I broke the 5 hour barrier and started doing some reasearch on this. This is when I stumble upon Arthur's principles and started reading online materials, blogs, his books etc. This was inline with my conclusions and hence I plan to stick with what he has already invented.

Current Situation: I have just now finished 3rd week of Arthur's base conditioning phase. I am left with effectively 14 more weeks before the event and I plan to squeeze in as much as conditioning and hill workouts as possible to improve my timings. I also plan to share the learnings from my training with fellow Indian athelets as the level of fitness is very poor compared to other countries all over the world.

Mileage this week: 43 miles so far.
Run on 7th Oct : 12.5 miles in 2:15:32 @ 10:49 min/mile pace.

I just have to drop this by 2 mins/mile to achieve my target :) This seems like an enormous task, but I plan to stick to the plan and be patient with sub-4 in mind. I hope that with support from wife and friends (running and non-runnings ones), I am able to give my 100% in this activity.

Future Plans: My plan is to start a fresh cycle after a month of easy running after SCMM event. This time I will follow the whole rigorous cycle of base + hill and repeat it to time the speed workout and sharpening as per the next marathon event.

No comments:

Post a Comment